Thursday 16 February 2012

Bone Heru - comb, bone pekapeka, toka whakairo - carved stone

This is a Heru comb, hand carved from sperm whale jaw bone. The whale was one from a stranding in the 1960's. I rate it as my best carving, ever.
I recently gave this to a close friend.  The actual value is disputable but for me, its priceless, like people. (bet you wish you were my friend now too)
I like the shape that Pekapeka have, the curves remind me of water (wairua) and rivers, because they flow.  They can also look like waves rolling.  Art in Nature.
 

 Toka Whakairo - Toka Ahuru - Carved stone.
Toka Ahuru is a tiny mystic island off the east coast of the North Island of Aotearoa NZ.  Its said to be a single tree (kahikatea) that grows on a rock.  Mahaki rau sent his pet shark to the island, and the shark returned with a branch. He used the branch to grow trees from one side of Turanga over to the other side.  Some of the trees are still alive today.
Many people believe that Toka Ahuru is Aerial reef.  But I have seen both.
This is a rock carved with water pattern. As waves carve stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment